Identity Explored in Student Created Show I/We

Courtesy of http://www.eaganhs.portal.rschooltoday.com/

Tori Westenberg, News Editor

From February 23rd-March 3rd, Eagan High School students are performing in the first ever all student-created production of the winter show, I/WE. “It is a student-created work of different kinds of theater where they’re all telling different stories around the theme of identity,” Mr. Hammond describes. “It’s titled I/WE because we’re talking about who we are as individuals and who we are in groups together, and the conflict between those two.”

​The show was a new experience for all students who participated in the production and is set to showcase several different types of performances, such as acting, singing, dancing, poetry, and animation. Sophomore Katie Anderson, director of the performance “The Wall” explains,“My cast and I are all pretty close, of course, sometimes I have to use the “director voice.” This is something completely new for all of us, and it’s really fun for me to create something with my friends.”

I think it’s good to support the arts and also to support your friends, because in the show, everything is student made. It’s also a lot of fun to see your friends put something on that they put their own time and effort into!

— Anna Connelly

“For my piece, I picked songs that I liked and messed around with the choreography a lot, as well as saw videos I found on Youtube that I liked and wanted to do my own version of them,” recalls Anna Connelly, creator of three dance performances in the show. “My favorite part of working on the show was probably teaching some of the guys how to dance for “Love In The Dark” because they’d never danced before, and I kinda threw them right into the water and said this is what you gotta do.”

​Show dates for I/WE are February 23rd, and 24th, and March 2nd and 3rd at 7:00 P.M.and tickets can be purchased online on the Eagan High School webpage in advance for five dollars for students, seven dollars for adults. “I think it’s good to support the arts and also to support your friends, because in the show, everything is student made. It’s also a lot of fun to see your friends put something on that they put their own time and effort into!” exclaimed Connelly. “There’s truly something for everyone here. There’s poetry, music, dance, theatre, film; everything. I think that seeing this will provide a little more insight into the Eagan High School community that doesn’t always get a lot of attention.” Anderson enthused.